Product Code: SD-001
Safe Dates can be used as a dating abuse prevention tool for both male and female middle and high school students. Safe Dates fits well within a health education, family life skills, or general life skills curriculum.
Teen dating behavior can be cause of significant concern, particularly when dating relationships are unhealthy, abusive, or violent. These negative experiences can have both short and long term impacts on teens, such as depression, poor academic performance, substance use, suicide attempts, and risk for further victimization or perpetration later in life. The Families for Safe Dates program recognizes the important role parents play in their child’s life, and seeks to provide tips and strategies for overcoming sometimes challenging or difficult conversations about sex, relationships, and substance use.
Families for Safe Dates for Dating Matters was adapted by CDC for use with families of 8th grade students in conjunction with the CDC’s Dating Matters: Strategies for Healthy Teen Relationships comprehensive teen dating violence prevention model. This version is full color features an improved layout with more diverse photographs.
Families for Safe Dates is comprised of six booklets that focuses on parent-child interactions with teen dating violence.
Families for Safe Dates Starter Booklet: Getting Started (for parents only)
· This booklet introduces caregivers to the Families for Safe Dates program and explains the benefits of doing the program with your teen.
Families for Safe Dates Booklet 1: Talking about Dating
· Booklet 1 includes information and activates to help caregivers and teens talk comfortably about dating so that it will be easier to talk about dating abuse, which will be introduced in booklet 3.
Families for Safe Dates Booklet 2: Skills for Handling Conflict
· Booklet 2 you learn some skills that can keep conflict from turning into a bad dating situation. But those skills won’t always prevent dating abuse if the other person isn’t using them, it’s good to have a plan for getting out of these situations safely.
Families for Safe Dates Booklet 3: Recognizing Dating Abuse
· Booklet 3 helps caregivers and teens to talk about dating abuse. It includes information and activates to help you better understand and recognize dating abuse, and to think about what to do if it happens.
Families for Safe Dates Booklet 4: Preventing Dating Sexual Abuse and Rape
· Booklet 4 focuses on one type of dating abuse. Dating Sexual Abuse, including rape. This Booklet help caregivers and teens on how to recognize and how to prevent sexual abuse from happening.
Families for Safe Dates Booklet 5: Planning For the Future
· Booklet 5 contains information and activates to help teens plan for their dating futures.
Booklets are available in Spanish or English
Sorry, this item can only be purchased by current members.
Would you like to...